8/19/2010

Aug 18, 2010 I Chronicles 28

Today's scripture is about David's Plans for the temple. Please follow along in your bible.

David summons all this officials and commanders to Jerusalem to discuss the plans for the temple. David tells the assembly that in his heart, he wanted to build a building - a place of rest - for the Ark of the covenant. He  God did not want David to build the temple because he was a warrior. David then gives the assembly a history lesson of how God chose Judah's line to have kings rule over Israel. God chose David and then Solomon to be kings. Neither man was the first born son - the heirs - but God appointed to be King. Verse 8 - David then tells the assembly 3 things to follow God by, and that is be careful, seek out the commandments and follow all of the commandments. This means they have a great responsibility as a nation to follow God and his commandments, don't pick and choose which ones to follow and which commandments to ignore.

Verses 9-10 David speaks to Solomon. He tells Solomon to acknowledge God and serve him with his heart and soul, serving God with wholehearted devotion and willing mind. If Solomon seeks God, he will be with Solomon forever, but if he ignores God - God will reject him forever.  I underlined these verses in my bible, as a reminder to me that I should do the same. David tells Solomon that Solomon was chosen to build the temple and to be strong and do the task given him.

Verses 11-19 David gives Solomon the plans for the temple. David gave him the plans of all that the spirit put in his mind for the plans of the temple. How cool is that?  David has details right down to the gold forks and bowls. I try to imagine what the temple will look like, it sounds magnificent!

Verses 20-21 David gives Solomon words of encouragement and advice.  Be strong and courageous, do not get discouraged, for God is with you. And finally, David tells Solomon about all the people who are in charge of building the temple, they will help in all the work and will follow Solomon's commands.

Being a leader is a great responsibility and David outlines first we are to serve God, and he will come along side of us to help us lead. He will place people in our lives to help us fulfill our tasks.

Father God, we thank you today for David's speech today to his commanders and official and he gives advice to Solomon. David has provided the specs for the temple, now it is Solomon's responsibility to love God with his whole heart, and to work to build the temple. For me this means I am to continue putting God first in my life, follow all his commandments, and work to help continue his kingdom.  I may not be building a beautiful magnificent temple, but I can build relationships that are God honoring both in my personal and professional life. God will continue his kingdom through me. I have the burden to share my faith to my children and grandchildren both in thought and deeds that they follow my example.  This is a huge responsibility. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

No comments: