9/03/2010

Sept 3, 2010 Psalm 119:105-128

Today continues Psalm 119:105-128. It has been good reading this psalm at a slow pace. The psalmist has written from his heart. The psalmist has endured sins, persecution of enemies and the joy of having a relationship with God through the law, and fellowship and worship.

Nun
Verses 105-112. Amy Grant wrote a song from verse 105  "Thy word is a Lamp unto my Feet and a light unto my path." I found this song on the www if you would like to hear the melody and read the lyrics. http://my.homewithgod.com/heavenlymidis2/thyword.html The words to this song echoes the same thoughts that the psalmist wrote. The psalmist finds joy in keeping Gods law even though others may persecute him.

Samekh
Verses 113-120 The New Living Testament verse 113 says "I hate those with divided loyalties...." Let us be faithful to God's word and not go back and forth who we are loyal to.  The remaining verses in this section reaffirm the psalmists devotion/loyalty to God. I like the last of verse 120 "I stand in awe of your laws."

Ayin
Verses 121-128 The psalmist is God's servant - he finds joy in following his law.  And he asks for mercy from his enemies because he has done what is right in God's eyes.  When we love one another it is a joy to serve and take care of one another. We do this freely.  As my faith grows I understand this more fully.

Father God,  I am not a theologian, but a follower of you. I write from my heart and a little from my head according to my humble understanding of the scriptures. I usually gloss over poetry because I don't understand what the author is saying, but I DO understand what the the psalmist is saying. You are a lamp unto my feet, a light in the darkness. You will guide us to the right path. We will encounter obstacles in our path, but with your help you will carry us through. I find comfort in your commands, they are not always easy to follow but they were designed for our good. And last but not least I thank you for giving your servants the gift of putting your words to music. A way of joyful worship! In Jesus name we pray. Amen.

No comments: