9/07/2010

Sept 7, 2010 Psalms 122-123

Today we continue with pilgrim psalms. Please follow along as we go through todays psalms.

Psalm 122
Verse 1 - "I rejoiced with those who said to me let us go to the house of the Lord." Here in a America we are fortunate to have many churches in our towns. If you aren't attending a church, seek a bible believing church and GO. I struggled many years attending church - my former husband quit attending church shortly after we married, and there were many Sundays I sat in church feeling sorry for myself because I went to church alone. Then we divorced.  I felt ashamed as a Christian for being divorced. So yes  I have had a long list of excuses over the years justifying why going to church was just too painful. Sad to say I went because I knew I should, but my heart wasn't in it. I don't know when I turned around my sorry state of myself but I finally have. It took MANY years to get in the right attitude for worshiping God. But you know what - God never gave up on me and my attitude. Praise God! And what is the right attitude for attending church? We should go rejoicing with those who said to me let us going to the house of the Lord. God accepts us for who we are, and we should accept us for who we are. OK that was long winded but I hope this helps someone who struggles going to church.

Verses 2-4 Jerusalem and the house of David is the church today. We have many denominations to choose from and my prayer is that no matter what church we attend, God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit is the centerpiece of  our church, and the bible is revered as the true and holy word of the trinity. Saying this the community of faith comes together collectively as THE CHURCH.  Let us warmly welcome any fellow believer into our buildings and homes.

Verse 5 The throne of judgement - The courts of law were at the gate entering the city. Sometimes the king even came and listened to the people and their legal issues.

Verse 6-9 is a prayer for peace. Pray for peace; peace in the church, peace among brothers and sisters, and peace for oneself.  Verse 9 in the NIV says "I will seek your prosperity", the NLT  says "I will seek what is best for you." I have to admit when I saw prosperity I thought of money. Money is a HUGE problem in today's culture. Let us be careful not to think prosperity only means material wealth and riches. Money itself isn't sinful but the love of money, worshiping money is a sin. God gives us prosperity in so many ways, the pleasure of seeing the changing seasons, people he brings into our lives, our gifts and talents, and hugs and kisses from grandchildren. Now THIS is prosperity :-).

Psalm 123
This psalm asks for Gods mercy.  I lift my eyes to you who's throne is in heaven. The psalmist asks for mercy - for God giving us kindness we don't deserve for the sinful things we have done. And we ask for mercy for those who contempt us. Let the contempt be focused on God not me specifically.

Father God, we continue the pilgrim psalms and we are all on a pilgrimage as we journey on earth. We thank you for being able to go to your house and worship you. I thank you I live in a country where I can freely worship you. We pray today for the saints who risk their lives to spread your message so that others may worship you.  We ask for mercy on those who suffer for your cause. In Jesus name we pray, Amen.

1 comment:

Ronna said...

You are gaining wisdom, my friend. I am thankful too that I can worship freely and openly. We take that for granted and should not.